Work and Travel USA
About the program
Work and Travel USA is a cultural exchange program of USA’s Departement of State, through which studens have the possibility to work legally in America during university summer holiday period.
This program means challenge, because it transposes you in a completely new environment and you have the opportunity to live and work alongside Americans. This is how you experiment authentically the differences and similarities between your culture and your colleague’s.
It is a real American experience, which, at the same time helps you to cover your expenses. You will be more than a simple tourist!
10 reasons to go to USA through us:
Our over 17 years of experience will help you to prepare right for the program
You can choose between these options: First Timer or Returnee, Independent or Placement
You can choose a job from one of the Job Fairs organized by Student Travel
We offer hundred of well paid jobs (7.50 – 15$) almost anywhere in the United States
You can plan a roadtrip in USA in your month of travel. It is known that, for renting a car and hitting the road you don’t need a lot of money, all you need are a few good friends and cheerfulness. Pictures, memories and friends for life!
Student Travel and the US Sponsor offers you assistance throughout the program
You have the right to work in USA for 4 months maximum, which means you will come home with your pockets full
Come with your friends! If you registrate together, one of you will receive a discount for the plane ticket
Student Travel will help you recover your taxes after you return from the States
You gain trust, independence, maturity, communication and valuable skills for a lifetime, which will broaden your horizons and will help in your future career.
Conditions of participation
To be under 30 years old before April 2018
To be a full-time student at an accredited or temporarily authorized state university or a private one
You can participate even if you are at your Master’s or PhD studies, no matter the year of study
To have good grades and few backlogs
For visa, students from The Republic of Moldova or other countries can also apply at the Embassy in Bucharest, if they study full-time in Romania, as well as students from Romanian universities gone with Erasmus scholarship in other countries.
Options and costs until november 2018
The cost of the program includes:
- Medical insurance during your work permit
- Program registration interview and document processing
- DS-2019 Form (the Work Permit) necessary for the J1 Visa application
- Visa full-service pack: you don’t have to worry for completing the forms, for getting the visa, we prepare your documents exactly as you should have it at the Embassy
- Access to job fairs, as well as virtual interviews with the employer and visa sponsor
- Orientation session before leaving to the States
- Permanent assistance in Romania at every Student Travel offices also during the summer
Other mandatory costs:
- SEVIS tax: 35$
- Visa fee 160$, to be paid in lei in the account of US Embassy in Bucharest
- Round trip plane ticket
- Pocket money
Come early to one of Student Travel offices, with a copy of your ID, a student certificate and fill out the registration form, after which you will have a short interview with a program coordinator.
After you pass the interview and you are accepted into the program, you pay the first amount of the total cost of the program, of $250
If you choose the INDEPENDENT option, you have to bring the job offer from your employer from USA
If you choose the PLACEMENT option, you attend one of our job fairs
After you sign the job offer, you pay the last amounts of the total cost of the program and we send your documents in the States
After you receive the work permit (DS2019) we schedule you to the visa interview at the US Embassy in Bucharest
You have the interview and you get the visa
You buy your round trip plane ticket through Student Travel
You go through the online orientation session
You pack your bags and get ready for the most awesome experience because this summer you are going to USA!
Find a job!
- In resorts: waiter/waitress, dishwasher, housekeeper, barman etc.
- In hotels: chambermaid, receptionist, bellboy, maintenance, banquet server in the hotel
- In different store departments: cashier, sales assistant etc.
- Office work
- In amusement parks: help in maintaining the park, retail clerk, ride operator, lifeguard etc.
- In national parks: all over the park and in specially arranged shelters.
Road Show: the American employers come to Romania to interview and hire students at job fairs in different cities. Time period: February, March.
Recruit: is a job fair where the representatives of the visa Sponsor interview thousands of students on behalf on the American employers. Time period: January – April.
Virtual Hire:is the employment option with the help of the internet, through which American employers or their representatives interview through webcam and hire for different jobs. Time period: starting with January.
Direct – Database: is an employment method through web, which you can use to find a job in The United States without participating in a job fair. You register Directly, fill out a Resume online, you specify what area and type of job you prefer. You get to choose from a large number of jobs and locations, to which you apply online. Time period: starting with December.
Important: All STR hiring services and jobs depend on the eligibility of the applicant, on the application time and availability. Before accepting a job, read all the information regarding that job.
You’ve always wanted go to USA, but you didn’t have the money to get started? BRD CREDIT HELPS YOU!
In premier, Student Travel in partnership with BRD offers you a special credit dedicated to students who are willing to work through our WAT USA program in the United States. The credit covers all the expenses this program implies, including the program fee, the visa tax, the Sevis tax, the cost of the plane ticket and pocket money until your first paycheck.Calculate your bank rate here!
The Advantages of Work & Travel Credit:
- The amount of the credit is set based on the incomes you obtain in the USA, without advance, without complicated formalities
- BRD puts the money directly at your disposal in your current dollar account
- You can refund the credit in a period of 15 months
- You benefit of a “grace period” up to 14 months, in which you pay only the interest and the monthly management fee
- You can fully refund the credit at the end of the grace period
- The interest is variable, and is regularly updated to ensure convenient rates.
Easy to obtain
- Sign up as soon as possible in the Work and Travel program, pay the first fee of the program
- Look through jobs offered by Student Travel and get a job offer
- Fill out the necessary documents, attesting you acceptance into the program, the level of related costs, the existence of a job in USA and the level of offered salary
- You can get between 250 and 3000 dollars.
United States has a unique culture in which different customs all around the world merge together. Through the Work & Travel program, you will have the best opportunity to discover the American culture because you will be working and interacting with different people. Many of the customs can be unusual and strange to the one from Romania. Being in an unknown place can be difficult even for an experienced traveler. This is absolutely normal and is often described as “culture shock”.
Characteristics of the American culture:
- Americans are punctual
- Americans like privacy and personal space
- Americans can be straightforward and honest, even if this might seem rude to people of different culture
- Americans often ask you how are you, how is your day, without waiting for an answer
- Americans wait for their turn when they sit in line
- Americans appreciate independent thinking
- Americans like to make jokes, smile and talk
- Americans are very interested in personal hygiene and cleanliness.